Meet the Tipping Point System
Team & Advisors
The Generative Mavericks* Committed
to a Thriving World for All
We are aware that there are hundreds, if not thousands of movements, networks, initiatives and NGOs concerned about - and tackling in some way - the various crises of our time. TPF Advisors and the Core Team differentiate ourselves in one key way: we recognize that our economic systems determine behaviour and that without systemic change to our economic systems, we will never change behaviour to the extent required. This is difficult and challenging work, requiring exceptional individuals, stellar commitment and a unique world-view.
Everyone involved with TPS are Generative Mavericks*, who:
- Work constructively (not destructively) toward generative transformational change;
- Think interdependently and transcontextually, challenging personal & institutional constraints, structural limitations, systemic barriers, unconscious biases & shadow agendas - with heart and in a compassionate manner;
- Sense the possible future and attract our future into being, by building bridge foundations on the far side of the river and spanning backwards to meet the present;
- Catalyze transformation from the foundations of incremental change;
- Act at the scale and pace dictated by science, wisdom, and ethics;
- Think, create, and act at systems levels, making nano/micro/meso/macro/cosmo links;
- Work collaboratively in ne(x)tworks/connectives, dispelling the illusion of separation;
- Maintain persistence even in the face of widespread resistance to a transformative agenda & active hope in the face of potential societal collapse.
* The name, Generative Mavericks, and some descriptions were adapted from r3.0.
Operational Leadership Team
The TPS Operational Leadership Team currently consists of:
- Dr. Anneloes Smitsman, Founder & CEO, EARTHwise Centre: Tipping Point System architecture, strategic leadership, and capacity development;
- Dr. Kurt Barnes, Founder & Chairman, EARTHwise Centre: executive advisory, psycho-social analysis, strategic intervention;
- Michael Haupt, Executive Director, Project 2030, EARTHwise Centre: executive project management, technology advisory, strategic leadership;
- Prof Sabine Brunswicker, Tipping Point Community Platform design & digital development, TPS transition research;
- James (Gien) Wong, Co-Founder Stop, Reset, Go: festivals, science & research, database development;
- Tom Harper, Co-Founder Stop, Reset, Go: festivals, music events, circular economies & currencies, and;
- Ralph Thurm, Managing Director, R3.0: reporting, measurement, informational infrastructure.
Scroll down to get to know each team member.
We are deeply grateful for the wise and caring individuals who jointly make up the TPS Advisory Council. These individuals help guide TPS toward its stated mission of a thriving world for all.
"I am keen to serve on the Advisory Council for Tipping Point Systems because of its core recognition of the unique opportunity to avert negative tipping points of ecological and social degeneration by triggering positive tipping points of human consciousness to activate the evolution of regenerative culture.” ~ Bill Baue, Senior Director R3.0.
Scroll down to get to know each Advisor.
Our Track Record
What TPS is attempting to accomplish has never been done before. In addition, things are essentially beyond our control because, as a species, we are facing entire lexicons of change and messy, chaotic, ever-surprising complexity. However, within that complexity we are committed to steering towards a world we know is possible, rather than a world we are willing to settle for. To our delight, our journey thus far has shown us there are many others willing to steer towards what we know to be good and life-giving for all.
Why do we think we are well-suited to the task at hand?
- At EARTHwise centre we have committed ourselves to developing transformational change processes. These processes have been applied in businesses, government and civil society. The first phase of Tipping Point capacity development programs are already developed and are available as online courses. See, for example, the Leadership Quest and the 5 Future Archetypes courses. We have already trained hundreds of leaders and youth leaders from around the world, including providing many scholarships for indigenous youth and indigenous women.
- Dr. Anneloes Smitsman is a leading thrivability scientist, futurist, and evolutionary system designer, internationally acknowledged for her cutting edge role in systemic transformational change. In addition to her groundbreaking online courses for developing the global transition team, she has also provided training, executive coaching, consultancy, and project development for the Mauritius Government, the Shift Network, UNESCO, the Mauritius Institute of Directors, LUX* Resorts & Hotels, St Regis Hotel, the Mauritius Commercial Bank, and the Indian Ocean Commission. She developed the Education for Sustainability program for the Mauritius Catholic School’s Network, which served as national input for the curriculum innovation of education for sustainability, among others. Her multi-stakeholder dialogue process was adopted in 2012-2014 in 9 different countries for the UN Rio+20 civil society inputs, and she trained the SIDS (Small Island Developing States) youth leaders under UNESCO for the 2014 UN SIDS Youth inputs for the UN SDG formulations.
- Dr. Kurt Barnes has a well known track record of suicide prevention, crisis intervention and social-psychological diplomacy. He has successfully prevented revolts on his professional missions and has acted as senior advisor and executive psycoach to numerous executives, government agencies, and other high officials in Mauritius, and internationally. His expertise is foresight and intervention for potential escalation tipping points, and strengthening life-affirming tipping-points. His clients include, amongst others, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Shell, J Kalachand, Mauritius Union Assurance, Swan insurance, Group Mikado, Neetoo Industries, Pallagames, White Sand Tours, Mauritours, UNICEF, and CITCO.
- Michael Haupt is a past career technologist who has a track record of delivering highly complex, large scale, multinational, multi-stakeholder projects in 16 cities on six continents. Clients included Barclays, HSBC, Hutchison 3G, Western Union, Unisys, O2, BT, Vodafone, Telenor, TeliaSonera, Telefonica, Vibo Telecom, Virgin Media and Bank of America. His full corporate career can be found here.
- Prof Sabine Brunswicker, is a Full Professor for Digital Innovation at Purdue University, and the Founder and Director of its Research Center for Open Digital Innovation (RCODI). She is a computational social scientist with a particular focus on open digital innovation who engages with an interdisciplinary group of researchers to predict individual and collective outcomes in open digital innovation. She is an internationally recognized authority in the field of Open Innovation, and chaired the World Economic Forum workshop for "Open innovation as a driver of business and economic transformation" in 2014. She is also known for pioneering Purdue IronHacks, an iterative hacking initiative;
- James (Gien) Wong currently works at the convergence between open source, circular economy, inequality, terror management, futures studies, anthropology, clean production, anthropocene studies, collective action and citizen-driven whole system change. He collaborates with others on collective action that emerges from a global platform and protocol cooperativism that can shift the current socio- economic paradigm from the MEconomy to the WEconomy. During an earlier corporate career Gien worked on projects with the Canadian Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans, Thomas J. Lipton (Unilever), NASA, Canadian Pacific Railroad, Clean Energy, Schlumberger, GE Power and Government of Canada.
- Tom Harper is an entertainment industry professional, who has completed a Masters in the Circular Economy (CE) MBA program, receiving a distinction for his dissertation which explored what a whole-system transition to a circular economy for the entertainment industry would look like. Tom is the Director and CE lead at Unusual Rigging Ltd (URL). One of his inter-organisational projects (transitioning the business model to a circular economy) saw URL became selected as a finalist in 'TheCirculars2017', an international award scheme run by the World Economic Forum. Clients include the Olympic Games, Cameron MacIntosh, British Science Museum, V&A, Imperial War Museum, Natural History Museum, Ministry of Defence, Westminster City Council, London Mayor's Office and the Jordanian Royal family. Tom spent 10 years as an actor. This experience gave him the ability to stimulate creative thinking as well as refining professional presentation, exploring new narratives and enhancing his communication skills.
- Ralph Thurm is a leading professional in redesign, resilience and regeneration. He was previously Director Engagement at GISR (Global Initiative for Sustainability Ratings: 2014-2017) and as senior advisor at various organizations and networks, including UNIDO, the Dutch Transparency Benchmark, Turntoo and Katerva.
The TPS Worldview
We are not in a climate crisis; we’re in a crisis of the human condition. Our collective behaviours have inflicted so much damage that radical behaviour changes at scale are required if we are to have a hope of avoiding catastrophe.
The crisis, like all disasters, is an opportunity to cooperate, learn and evolve. Nothing brings communities together like disasters.
Our behaviours which cumulatively led to the crisis are currently driven by systems of quantitative growth (primarily GDP). Protesting against leaders in this growth model is meaningless, since they are essentially incapable of changing behaviour from a systemic perspective. The systems we most identify with and are entangled with, influence what drives our behaviour.
Unless the system changes to qualitative growth, the required behavioural will not succeed. We must explore a transition from one growth model to another. Degrowth is not an option because Growth is intrinsic to Life.
The required systemic change must be a collaboration between top-down & bottom-up. The effort will be spearheaded by those currently outside or disenfranchised by the quantitative deterministic growth model.
The collaboration required lacks leadership. Entirely different skills and values are required to stimulate qualitative growth and deep transformational change.
TPS is a way of rapidly developing qualitative leadership teams in cities across the planet, using the commonly accepted climate-crisis as the motivating factor.
This worldview underpins the entire TPS strategy. We are determined to lead direction for the world we want, rather than simply one we're willing to settle for.
Tipping Point Operational Teams
The implementation of the Tipping Point Activities takes place through coordinated teams from the 12 Spheres of Impact. Implementation of the key strategies, technologies, projects and initiatives occurs through the tipping point festivals and music events, which are sustained and amplified through the tipping point projects through which the tipping point economic systems and thrivability communities are brought into being.